Complete list of RAC deadlines & meeting dates HERE.
Changes to Your Property
Please find staff contact information below.
Important information regarding Exterior Alteration Applications, PLEASE READ.
Requests for Letters of Compliance: Carrie Wenholz, email@example.com
Exterior Alteration Applications: Mike Vaughn, firstname.lastname@example.org
Property Concerns: Karina Caico, email@example.com
The village of Oakland Mills, located in Columbia MD, is a community in which the land is protected by covenants. These covenants are essentially promises by which all who own or reside here shall abide by. The ongoing maintenance of the open space, facilities, properties, and homes in the village of Oakland Mills depends upon its owners and residents upholding these covenants. The covenants’ presence as part of each deed can compel owners and residents to abide by them or incur possible penalty. The information contained on this page is designed to help all residents understand how to buy, sell, and maintain their property in Oakland Mills, Columbia, MD. Click here to download the Architectural Guidelines.
Step 1: Application
- Submit complete application with drawings and all appropriate information to the Covenant Advisor – Applications by the applicable deadline (see dates below).
PLEASE NOTE: Incomplete applications will be returned AND will not be processed or placed on the agenda for review until ALL necessary information is provided.
- Download Exterior Alteration Application:
–Info on Completing Application
- Click here to Download the In Home Business Application.
Step 2: Review
- Application is reviewed by the Covenant Advisor for completion.
- Email is sent to applicant stating application is accepted, complete, and scheduled to be heard at upcoming RAC meeting OR email is sent to applicant with returned incomplete application and a request for more information.
- Once application is complete, accepted, and scheduled to be heard at upcoming RAC meeting, application is given to RAC & published on the Oakland Mills website and in the village office.
- RAC members visit property to view site and plans
- RAC discusses application at its next meeting. (It is recommended that applicant attend the RAC meeting for which their application is scheduled).
Step 3: Decision
- RAC recommends approval, approval with amendments, or denial
- RAC sends to the Architectural Chair
- The Architectural Chair reviews and issues final decision
- The Final decision is sent by email/mail to applicant.
Oakland Mills Architectural Committee approval may not be the only approval required. It may also be necessary to obtain approval from your townhome or condominium’s Homeowners’ Association (HOA) and/or Howard County (HC). Howard County permit information can be obtained by calling 410-313-2455. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to obtain all necessary approvals. If there are inconsistencies between HOA and OMCA Covenants or HC regulations, the most restrictive criteria or covenant takes precedence. Exterior alterations begun without prior approval of the Oakland Mills Architectural Committee are done in violation of OMCA Covenants and are at the applicant’s own risk.
Guidelines to the Oakland Mills Covenants are available at the Village Office located in The Other Barn, 5851 Robert Oliver Place OR Click here to view the “OMCA Architectural Guidelines.” Questions about the application or review process should be referred to the Covenant Advisor for Applications at 410-730-4610 or email Michael Vaughn: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resident Architectural Committee (RAC) meetings are held the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at The Other Barn, 5851 Robert Oliver Place on the review dates listed below. Residents are encouraged to attend the meeting at which their application is reviewed.
2023 RAC DEADLINES AND MEETING DATES
|Deadline Dates||Meeting Dates|
|December 20 (2022)||January 5|
|January 3||January 19|
|January 17||February 2|
|January 31||February 16|
|February 14||March 2|
|February 28||March 16|
|March 21||April 6|
|April 4||April 20|
|April 18||May 4|
|May 2||May 18|
|May 16||June 1|
|May 30||June 15|
|June 20||July 6|
|July 5||July 20|
|July 18||August 3|
|August 1||August 17|
|August 22||September 7|
|September 5||September 21|
|September 19||October 5|
|October 3||October 19|
|October 17||November 2|
|October 31||November 16|
|November 21||December 7|
|December 5||December 21|
|December 19||January 4 (2024)|
Need Further Assistance?
Read over our list of things to know and do when submitting an application to the the Architecture Committee.